The Colorado Rockies unveiled their Nike MLB City Connect uniform, the eleventh big league club to reveal a new design since the program began last season. They were inspired by what is worn not just on game day but also in everyday life for residents of this beautiful state.
From 1960 to the present, Colorado drivers have traveled across America with an identifying tag affixed on their car that features a green and white logo. Sixty-two years after that plate design was first introduced, the Rockies baseball team will match that look during every Sunday home game for the rest of the season, following its June 4th debut against Atlanta.
“The Rockies City Connect jersey features a design that celebrates not only Colorado’s natural beauty and grandeur, but the spirit of adventure and determination that drives Colorado residents to conquer any challenge in front of them,” read the team’s release. “The base design of the jersey, pants, and socks reflects the familiar Colorado backdrop as seen on the Colorado license plate, with snow-capped mountains and evergreen trees.”
The team took this license plate-inspired design one step further by even using the same font for the plate’s numbers as the font for player numbers on the front and back.
What fans can expect to see
Here’s a look at how the Rockies said the different pieces of the uniform will connect specifically to Colorado:
- Jersey design: The base design of the jersey, pants, and socks reflects the familiar Colorado backdrop seen on the Colorado license plate, with snow-capped mountains and a nod to evergreen trees.
- Jersey number and name font: The font on the jerseys reflects the font used on the iconic Colorado license plates.
- Right sleeve: The “5280” patch on the jersey’s right sleeve salutes Denver’s Mile-High nickname; the two black diamonds point to the fearless spirit that embodies all who reside here and emulate Colorado’s dynamic ski culture. The coordinates of Coors Field are also emblazoned on the yellow sticker.
- Purple trim: The sleeves and the numbers on the back of the jersey are adorned with purple trim, representing the row of purple seats at Coors Field that designate one mile above sea level.
- Jock tag: Inspired by the iconic sign welcoming visitors to the Centennial State, a “Welcome to Colorful Colorado” patch lives at the bottom of the jersey above the jock tag.
- Hat logo: The circle Colorado patch found on the hat highlights the purple mountains and clear blue skies, surrounded by circles of red to represent the color of the state’s soil, and the gold to symbolize Colorado’s abundant sunshine.
Fans can purchase the Rockies City Connect jersey — as well as hats, hoodies, and tees for men and women — exclusively in-store at the Colorado Rockies Dugout Stores and Rally Store at McGregor Square through the on-field debut on June 4th. The Rockies City Connect collection will also be available online at MLBShop.com and Nike.com.